Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Younger

Fast Eddie's little brother used to drive, we called him Junior. Dispatcher would be saying you're where Junior? Where now Senior? Junior? And give out the call.

Until about a week ago, we had 2 guys with the exact same name, and they got called Elder and Younger. The Elder is one of my favorite people, has been for a while. He's obnoxious as all get out, but that's part of his charm. How did he come to drive a Badger cab? He had (had?/has?) a little rage issue, and it's said the ticket was for 120 in a 55, but it's only hearsay, no one will confirm it, he was in a yellow cab when he did it.

The Younger was still in intensive care on Monday, probably still is. He finished a dispatching shift on Friday night, got on his bike, and started riding home. At around midnight, I gave up on getting a fare out to the east side to get fuel. Like it or not, I'd have to go out there empty. I headed out the Jennifer st. bus route, but when I got to Rodgers and Rutledge the whole block was closed off to Thornton, so I had to go around. I got to the other corner, and before I turned back on Rutledge to go over the bridge I saw a bike lying on the street near the 2nd driveway easement. Ah, that's it, some drunk sneaking through the neighborhoods clipped a bike, and sure enough there was a crime investigation vehicle pulling up just then. Off to the office I went, got my fuel, went inside and told Bam Bam that the cops were investigating a bike getting clipped at Rutledge and the river. It would be about 20-30 minutes before the cops informed the office it was The Younger.

When I checked in I told Bam Bam that I figgured The Younger would get his drivers license lifted on medical grounds for 6 months. Bam Bam said no way, wanna bet? We ended up betting 25 bucks on it. Given that The Younger had brain surgery this week, I expect to win the bet. For some reason, nobody has started passing the hat for him yet. I'll donate that 25 bucks to The Younger Christmas fund, and if I have to get the card to start it, I'll buy that too.

3 comments:

Randall the Mover said...

It's my understanding that he's much better. Actually talking. I'd forgotten about visiting Bobby in the VA hospital, years ago. I went in and said hi, and he asked me who I was.

I was telling Eric about all the head injury people, and left out Bobby. Sigh....

Real cab driver said...

And I finally found out about the little fat man, the new equipment, the meaning of the universe and everything.

Turns out the little fat man has sold his idea to the owner, and for some strange reason the owner believed all the bs he piled on about it. For the record, I can't make it work or fail, and saying it will be wonderful isn't my style. If it's wonderful, I'll say it's wonderful, and if anybody wants to hate me for this position, I guess they'll just have to hate me.

As far as the little fat man goes, if I bought the company, I'd get rid of him as soon as I figured out he was a liability. At his age and qualification level, if he cares about his future, he should think about this carefully. I won't be buying the company but someone will, and that someone won't be an idiot.

When the new equipment is made functional it either will or won't live up to hype. I can't effect how it will play out.

How it's going to play out is as follows, and it's here in print for the world to see:
We will have a great winter. The huge snowfall, will ensure a great season, the money will be good until at least mid March, and probably until mid April.

All the cab companies will staff up during the good time.

When winter ends, the new people will get decimated, as in they will make NO money. They will leave. All of a sudden there will be massive holes in the schedule, and the summer will be a disaster for the company in spite of the improving economy. The asking price of the company will decrease, and still there will be no takers. Still the owner will be unable to retire and play golf or what ever he likes to do.

Any questions?

Real cab driver said...

The younger is has been forgotten at this point. Isn't if fascinating how fast a player can be removed from the system..

They say he'll be at least a year recovering.

So, the majority of people will follow the company line and hate me, but it won't matter much, it won't effect the fate of the younger. And I?

Well, the Younger was following the company line. He was messing with me as much as possible. Should I feel bad about him? Yes I do? Even if he was a suck ass, apple polisher ass hole, he was one of us, and any loss of one of us is a hole in my sole.